Prerequisites for enrollment (all documents must be translated into English):
- Guidance from a KML approved agent
- Current 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th grade students, from 14 to 17 years old
- Proof of basic English ability through ONE of the following:
- Academic transcripts from the previous three years
- Two letters of recommendation from teachers
- Letter from parents (or guardian) explaining why they want their student to enroll in KML.
- Student’s "personal statement" explaining why the student wishes to enroll in KML(must be hand-written by the student without assistance from others)
- Financial statement from a bank demonstrating the parents’ ability for financial support
- Photocopy of the student’s valid passport
- U.S. $100 non-refundable application fee
- Picture of the student together with parents
Download or print KML's
International Admissions Checklist.
School admissions committee reviews the application and, if accepted, will send an acceptance letter via email. Upon receiving the acceptance letter by email, the family must pay a $2,000 enrollment deposit to hold the student’s place. After the student’s visa has been issued, the student must pay the remaining fees by August 1.
Upon receiving the US $2,000 enrollment fee, school will send the following:
- Original hard copy of the acceptance letter
- I-20 form from school
- Application fee receipt
- “Next Steps for Enrollment” information sheet
Visa application: the documents needed at the USA Embassy are:
- Acceptance letter
- I-20 form from School
- Receipts for any payments made
- Proof of payment of US $ SEVIS I-901 fee
- Proof of parents’ financial responsibility, such as certificate of deposit in US $
Proof of connections to home country after schooling is finished
* When visa is granted, students need to inform KML by email. Students also inform KML of flight and arrival arrangements.
* Orientation for new students will begin three to five days prior to the start of the school year.
* In the event the student visa is denied, US $2,000 enrollment fee already paid will be refunded. The $100 application fee is non-refundable. (Exception: application fee will be refunded with proper evidence showing proof of visa denial).
* Students who enroll at KML are committed to attending school here for a minimum of one academic year. Students who withdraw or transfer before this time will not be granted any refund fees. If a student is asked by the administration to withdraw from KML, all tuition fees for the current semester are non-refundable, and all housing fees for the entire year are non-refundable.
- After the student’s visa has been issued, the student must bring his/her immunization record and other recent health examination records
- The school administration will assign students to the appropriate grade level based on the results of a placement test.
- We encourage all beginning students from China to fly together from Shanghai through Chicago to Milwaukee, and the school will arrange for transportation from the Milwaukee airport to the school.
- In order to allow international students to have opportunity to experience real American life and to be immersed in an American-English speaking environment, the school will arrange for a friendly American family to host the student.
- We encourage international students to return to their parents’ homes during the summer vacation; if students would like to stay in the United States for the summer, it is up to the students to arrange for housing and to pay housing fees. KML will not find a host family for the summer.
- All travel fees are the responsibility of the student.