Graduation for the class of 2020 has been postponed to Saturday, June 13, at 1:00 PM with a rain date of June 14 at 1:00 PM. This challenging decision allows an appropriate amount of time for proper planning following our local health department guidelines while ensuring we are on the same page with our local authorities. We have adjusted the time to 1:00 PM because it allows for a warmer part of the day and the evaporation of dew from our football field. More details will be communicated as the event draws closer. Please note that a final decision on this date will be made 10 days prior to the event on Wednesday, June 3.
Watch the graduation service online at www.kmlhs.org/stream.
General Graduation Guidelines
- We will be following guidelines set by our Washington County Health Department in terms of maintaining 6 ft. social distancing. Families and guests will be asked to stay in their family groups and distanced from other groups. This will include our graduates as they enter, participate, and leave.
- The majority of high schools in our state and beyond are not having a service or ceremony like this. We believe we can do this well and as an example for others because we can trust our KML family to adhere to these guidelines when at KML. This is a chance to set aside our individual freedom for the sake of others so we can worship together and enjoy this special moment for our graduates.
- No one is required to participate or attend. Attendees and participants should weigh the risks and make their own choice about coming to this service.
General Graduation Logistics
- Our graduates will be in socially distanced chairs on the track in front of the bleachers, and our families will be on the grass of the football field. We are planning to paint rectangle boxes on the football field which will hold approximately 10 people per graduate and allow for a relatively close view. Families, please bring lawn chairs or a blanket to sit on in your spot. (KML will not be providing chairs for anyone except the graduates.) We are also asking that you don’t bring a canopy or tent as that will obstruct the view for others.
- Please note that it is a long walk down to the football field from the parking lots. Attendees should consider what type of shoes would make sense at this type of outdoor event where they may need to walk a long distance and walk across grass.
- We are planning to have a processional and recessional of our graduates.
- There will be a stage where our pastors will lead worship and where our graduates will receive their diplomas.
- We will have the same order of service and parts of the service that we would have had if it was held in the gymnasium.
- We ask that families exit after the ceremony in family groups and follow social distancing guidelines.
- The worship and ceremony will be live streamed at www.kmlhs.org/stream.
- Pray for good weather. We will be monitoring as the day gets closer and strive to make a determination 18-24 hours in advance. We will communicate any changes via email. If a rain delay occurs, our first rain delay date is Sunday, June 14, at 1:00 PM.
- Restrooms will be available on graduation day with social distancing expectations in the school building.
- Individual yard signs for each of our graduates will line the driveway on graduation day. You may take your sign with you after the graduation ceremony.
- If you have a guest in a wheelchair or who has accessibility challenges, there will be a place on the track where wheelchairs would be able to participate. There is no need to communicate that need to us in advance.