At various times throughout KML’s 50-year history, our leaders have faced the challenges of a growing enrollment and the need to expand our facilities. We often refer to those times as bold defining moments.
We are currently faced with the opportunity for another one!
During our 50 years, KML has accomplished six building projects, and within just the past twenty years, we have experienced three successful capital campaigns. This is monumental. Professional fundraisers advise their clients to conduct one major campaign in that same time frame! Following that recommendation would have limited our ability to meet the challenges of a growing enrollment and the opportunity to share the Gospel with more youth. Rather than listen to the advice of those “experts,” we made the bold decisions to respond to God’s blessings with positive action.
Now, in 2023, we are moving forward again. As of this writing (August 2023), we are more than halfway through our latest capital campaign, Let’s Grow Together. God continues blessing our school with amazing growth, and we gladly respond by meeting the needs of more students.
At the KML General Board meeting on August 14, 2023, the delegates heard a Let’s Grow Together update and were invited to ask questions and provide input. The details of the report included:
- More than 1500 donors have already supported this campaign, and more than 150 of those donors are alumni.
- More than $5.5 million has been given or pledged.
- KML’s enrollment has and continues to grow at an average of 17 students/year.
- The Jr. Chargers program, which has expanded to more than 400 youth, continues to serve as one of our best ministry opportunities for our federation and community, including many future KML students.
- Our current gyms are used every period of the day as well as before school and long into the evening.
- The weight room is inadequate for our P.E. program and our athletic teams, and the trainer’s area needs significant expansion.
- There is a continual demand for more classrooms to meet future growth.
- A proposed building addition would meet these and future needs.
In response to this report, the delegates voted unanimously to move forward and build the addition. The initial design includes a fitness center, trainer’s room, gym, atrium, classrooms, storage, and more. This expansion will meet the needs of current activities as well as future programs.
“This campaign isn’t about the building. It’s about serving more students with the Gospel. The building is simply one of the tools to help us accomplish our mission.” – President Luehring
Our leaders are now finalizing plans with the goal of breaking ground in spring of 2024 and completing the project by the summer of 2025.
At this time we ask for your continued prayers. Pray for our students as they grow every day in their faith and knowledge of Jesus their Savior. Pray for our faculty and administrators as they lead this ministry, and pray for the success of the Let’s Grow Together campaign as well as prayerfully considering your own special donation to help reduce the amount we will need to borrow.
This is another bold defining moment for KML and can be accomplished with all of us working together for God’s glory.