About the Program
Private vocal lessons are available at KML. Students take lessons for many different reasons:
- To prepare for a career in the teaching or preaching ministry
- To further develop one’s God-given musical talent
- To prepare for auditions (voice and piano experience are necessary for most degrees, no matter what the major instrument is)
- To improve solo/small group singing
- To prepare for solos at church, in choir, the musicals, chapel, or solo and ensemble
- Convenience: taking lessons during the school day saves a trip to the music store in the evening and allows for more family time and practice time at home
- Fun and/or stress relief!
- Regular attendance and practice at home is necessary for consistent progress. Each student is expected to be prompt for every lesson, with the proper music for each lesson.
- Any appointments or extra-curricular activities should be scheduled around the student’s lesson time, as this time is set specifically for each student.
- If a student is not able to attend a lesson during a given week, he or she may arrange to trade that lesson with another student if it is mutually convenient.
- If a student misses a lesson and does not arrange for a trade, that time is of no value to anyone else and the lesson will be forfeited. Please note this policy and remember to make arrangements to consistently attend your lesson.
- Lessons take place during band, choir, or study hall, or before or after school as necessary.
- One lesson is half of a period. Students may arrive early for lessons and are encouraged to use a practice room to warm up prior to lessons if at all possible.
- If a student forgets his or her music at home on a lesson day, that student is still responsible to attend that lesson, as technique, theory, and music history can be emphasized, and your teacher may have another hard copy of your music on file.
YOUR FIRST LESSON:
- Please bring a pencil, folder or small binder, and any previous books from prior lessons.
COST OF LESSONS:
- Lessons are billed quarterly by KML. The fall and spring semesters consist of 14 lessons each, and the tuition for each semester is $245.
- Tuition will be billed quarterly. If a student withdraws from lessons after the first week of school, 50% of the tuition for that quarter will be refunded.
- No refunds will be processed after the second week of school for that quarter.
You will be contacted by email or phone before that date with your lesson time and information. If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Jessi Kolberg (414 467-4729).
Your teacher will keep you abreast of performance opportunities throughout the year. These include:
- Leading chapel services with voice or piano
- Singing or playing piano for pre-service music before the band or choir winter concerts in December.
- Performing at the WSMA Solo/Ensemble Festival in March.
- Fall and spring voice recitals.
- Coaching on preparation to play/sing for your own home congregation.
About the Instructor
Mrs. Jessi Kolberg (email@example.com) is an independently contracted musician and teacher in the Milwaukee area. She is a graduate of WLHS and WLC with a music degree in piano performance, vocal performance and church music. She is also the piano and voice teacher at WLHS, a pianist for the Milwaukee Ballet, the staff pianist at Alverno College, organist for Trinity Lutheran Church in Mequon, and sings with the Bel Canto Chorus, the Milwaukee Chamber Choir, and Canticum Novum.